Health and Social Care
This subject is offered as part of the Options process in Year 9, when students choose their subjects to study in Years 10 and 11.
health and social care
(btec level 1/2 tech award)
This qualification will help you acquire knowledge, understanding and technical skills through work-related contexts as part of your Key Stage 4 learning.
The qualification is equivalent to and complements GCSEs to help develop work-related skills in the Health and Social Care sector. It will help broaden your experience and understanding of where your studies can take you in the future.
What kind of things will I study?
Areas you will cover include
- Component 1: Human Lifespan Development – how people develop across the life stages and the factors that impact on their growth and development.
- Component 2: Health and Social Care Services and Values – the range of health and social care services that are available to us and barriers that stop people accessing them. The values you need to demonstrate to work in health and social care.
- Component 3: Health and Wellbeing – the components of a healthy lifestyle and how different factors impact on lifestyle. Planning how to improve lifestyle and barriers that might stop this happening.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through internal and external assessments. For components 1 and 2, the exam board sets an assignment that we complete in lessons using all our notes for that component. It is internally marked and moderated by the exam board. For component 3 there is an externally set and marked exam.
- Further study in sixth form or college. Silverdale Sixth Form offers a BTEC Level 3 in Health and Social Care.
- Apprenticeships in health and social care.
- Courses in childcare and care of the elderly.
- Preparation towards a nursing career